General Education & Training Certificate: Hygiene and Cleaning (NQF 1)
The primary purpose of this qualification is to develop in a learner, the foundational, practical and reflexive competencies required for a career in the Hygiene & Cleaning Services Industry.
Central to the qualification is the development of a culture of quality service and professionalism in a cleaning services environment. This qualification intends to produce cleaners who can find gainful employment in the cleaning industry.
This qualification will enable learners to access learning in a related field (e.g. Hospitality, Health Care, Wholesale and Retail, Food Production or Manufacturing etc), or a related branch of cleaning (e.g. Industrial, Hospital, Car Wash, Dry Cleaning and Laundry, Garden Services, Aircraft Cleaning or Textile Cleaning etc.).
Basics of Cleaning
Employee Workplace Behaviour
- Target Group: This qualification is intended for cleaners, team leaders, supervisors, temporary or relief cleaners and emerging entrepreneurs who currently, or who aspire to, operate in the cleaning industry at large.
- Programme Level: The level of the programme is at NQF Level 1.
- Minimum Qualifying Criteria: As this is an NQF Level 1 qualification, and therefore the starting point of a career and of training and development in the cleaning industry, no formal learning is assumed to be in place. It is preferable however that a learner accessing this qualification has attained competence in Communication and Mathematical Literacy at ABET Level 2 or the equivalent.
- Qualification Duration: Qualification – between one – three years. Learnership – twelve months. Contact sessions – between nine (9) – twelve (12) months.
- Contact Training & Assessment Sessions: Between 15 – 30 contact days (as per qualifying criteria).
- Non-Contact Duration: Learners will be required to invest the necessary additional hours per module on additional reading, on job practical assignments (workplace), and POE building, with the support of the supervisor and/or coach. A workplace log will be completed in this regard.
The programme is facilitated by a competent subject matter specialist/s, who utilises the following techniques to ensure that the session is practical and experiential: Discussion; Role Plays; Exercises & Case Studies; Videos/DVDs; and Formative Assessments.
To facilitate this process we offer:
- Coaching Support: The Amandla Obunye Training Academy appointed Assessor and Project Administrator are available to the learners for telephonic support and coaching while learners compile their POE’s. Additional coaching support will be scheduled, as required, to assist with the building of POE’s.